Sunday 11 March 2012

First Touch of Spring

Today we enjoyed very warm temperatures with clear blue skies, a sweet taste of the spring weather that's just around the corner. The thermometer reached +11 degrees C, which I believe is a record for this day. We've been listening to Canada Geese fly over the house for the past few days, and today I saw the first robin of the year in the back yard. Spring's definitely coming.

This is the time of year that my neighbors are busy making maple sugar. The temperature dips just below freezing at night and rises above freezing during the day, which gets the maple trees all excited and stimulates the flow of sap. My wonderful neighbor down the road usually finds a way to slip me a rum bottle filled with maple syrup sometime shortly after sugaring season, so my thoughts are definitely with her and her family right now.

I spent the working part of the day inside, here at this keyboard, where I'm making my way through the final proofs of Marcie's Murder. I'm halfway through a final copy editing, and when that's done I'll read it through once more, strictly in proofreading mode. My deadline to have the final proofs ready for publication is March 15, this Thursday. At the moment I'd say I'm on track.

When three o'clock in the afternoon rolled around I put on my coat and rubber boots, grabbed my camera and took the border collie out the back for a walk in the forest. There's a bit of swamp here and there across my strip of land and once the snow's completely melted Cody and I won't be able to go back there for a while, so we take advantage while we can! I shot a whole bunch of pictures and thought I'd share this one with you. It shows how much the snow has disappeared just over the course of the past few days.

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous of the weather you have over there. In Australia it's either incredibly hot or it's cold and blowing a gale but we don't get any snow. The picture you've taken is beautiful. Kinda makes me want to move to Canada. Plus it's perfect weather for writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like the photo, Lan. Frankly, I'm pretty glad to see the snow on its way out, even though it was quite a mild winter this year. Still, as a Canadian, I must admit there's nothing like a lungful of fresh, cold air to make you feel really alive....

    ReplyDelete